Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Shame

A couple of months ago, I watched a documentary called "Shame."  It's the story of Mukhtaran Mai, her public rape, and what occurred in the few years following the incident.  "Shame" is a very powerful piece.  After I watched it, I started thinking about how fortunate I really am.  Not saying everything about America is perfect, but how blessed are we just to have a sense of safety and security?  I mean, the worst part of my day was this morning when I had to throw out a pack of chicken that was thawing on the counter because I forgot to put it in the fridge before I went to bed last night.  So easy to take things for granted.

I vaguely remembered her story from an old Glamour magazine, but a 2-page article could never explain the depth of what she went through and how courageous she was, and still is, in the aftermath.  But that's all I'm going to say.  I don't want to tell the story because you have to see it! Go watch it!  She's definitely an inspiration.  She has achieved a lot of great things with a lot less support than a lot of us have.

No comments:

Post a Comment